I started by printing the book in parts. Pages 1 ~ 20, 21 ~ 40, 41 ~ 60, 61 ~ 80, 81 ~ 100, 101 ~ 120, 120 ~ 136. I set them to the printer in booklet format, so one one page of paper I will have 4 pages.
In this photo I have a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, in a make shift jig of a computer (on left), box (in back), on top of a box (bottom). The paper has lines (click for larger view). There is a center line, then the offset line. As you can see the stapler's front in on the offset line and the staple will end up on the center line when done. I have also marked ware I will place the staples. The only line I draw is the off set in light pencil and cross it ware the center of the staple goes.
In this photo you can see the staples. I just punch the staples through the pages right into the box below, starting with the center, and making sure the pages stay in line before moving to the next two staples.
Now I then gently remove the pages from the box so the staples do not rip through the paper. Next lay it flat with the staples sticking up, and lay a ruler along the staples and start a fold. Once it starts to fold bend the staples over as if they were normally stapled, and finish the fold to complete the booklet.
web page that shows some thing like what I am doing but they are using holes for the thread, and I will use Staples form my holds. I am thinking of gluing a strip of cloth ribbon to the back edge of the outer booklets. Sowing the strips to the staples, and then bending them out to glue to the book cover when done. Kind of like L brackets on the front and back booklet. The I will glue the backs of all the booklets, to the back of my binding, then glue the L brackets to the inside covers.
So I hope to finish this supper geekey project soon.